People show an increasing tendency towards having their own wind turbines for generating their very own electricity and in addition for reducing their contribution to environmental problems as a result of carbon based sources of energy.
Wind turbines along with their operation
A wind turbine is actually a machine that can convert the kinetic energy in the wind into electrical energy. Blowing wind rotates the blades in the turbine as well as the mechanism in it can generate electricity upon this rotation. Wind turbines have mainly two types. Horizontal axis and vertical axis wind turbines. They both have pros and cons but horizontal axis ones are definitely more common because of higher efficiency.
Individual wind turbines
Individual turbines can be utilized for a number of purposes ranging from supplying energy for some small electrical devices where grid connection is not really easy to meeting area of the energy demand of a home, a farm or even a production facility. Individual generation systems can be standalone or grid connected. The power output from a standalone Small Wind Generator can be directly used. However, in grid connected systems excess electricity produced can be supplied to the national grid system. In Ireland, you will have chance to be bought the extra electricity you supply towards the grid approximately 500kW. Individual wind turbines can range from as small as 50W to as large as 3 MW, based on their purpose of use.
Individual wind turbines for domestic use
Unlike large industrial wind turbines, these turbines have smaller dimensions that will make them suitable for using in relatively smaller areas. Their capacities range from no more than 50 watts to as high as 50 kilowatts as well as their prices vary according to their sizes, types and manufacturers.
How to proceed for installing a small wind generation system?
* First of all you must decide whether you really need a little scale wind turbine for your energy needs. Sometimes just saving some energy can lower your bills but if the reason behind considering a little turbine has been in off-grid areas you can proceed to one other steps.
* Inspect your website or perhaps your building (for rooftop turbines) to view whether it be appropriate for installing a wind turbine. You should have enough space to set up a turbine with no wind being blocked by other buildings or obstacles.
* Determine your energy needs. Your utility bills will most likely be your best references.
* Find out if the area you will install your turbine is windy enough. You can always find wind measurement data in wind energy associations’ websites for your area.
* Based on your power requirement as well as the wind potential in the area, decide the ability and kind of the turbine you will want.
* Your small scale wind method is expected to get a ROI duration of maximum fifteen years. Economic lifetime of a small wind turbine without changing the main elements is estimated to become about 20 years and proper maintenance improves this. However, maintenance needs of small wind turbines are required to become minimal.
* Get any permits required in your area.
* You will likely need to have a contractor for erection, assembly, electrical connections of the wind turbine. However, should your turbine is micro scale, you can do these jobs alone as well. You can find domestic scale wind turbines and also 400W or 1 kW self installed turbines and accessories on windturbines.ie.
Individual wind turbines for industrial uses, i.e. factory sites
Turbines for industrial uses have capacities between 500kW to 3 MW. It will be possible to create electricity for wind speeds between 3 m/s and 25 m/s. For times that this wind is not blowing, one can still get electricity from the grid. This will lead to additional revenue as well as your reduced power bills.
Steps towards a wind turbine installation within your factory site:
The steps that needs to be made for installing an industrial scale wind turbine are approximately the same as those for installing a domestic turbine. The only real difference is because they require more expertise. So it would be a smart idea to take a turnkey service from a specialist company in order to not experience any problems. The stages for a turbine installation are outlined below:
* Wind Measurement: As the annual electricity generation depends mainly on wind speed, this method is of vital importance to be able to forecast your energy production. You can never know what you would generate not understanding whatever you have in hand.
* Feasibility studies: This will be a comprehensive study to let you know rskxmv your proposed system will certainly be a feasible project or otherwise.
* Grid connection studies: This method assesses grid connection possibilities for the proposed wind turbine.
* Permission: Planning and installation of your wind turbine will demand some permits on planning stage and throughout installation. Failure to have these permits may bring about legal enforcement.
* Project budget planning: What you need to spend for your wind turbine project from starting out the conclusion is an important item in almost any kind of planning for business.
* Procurement, commissioning and installation: All of your equipment and staff needs to get a turnkey project.
* Post-sales services: Issues like warranty, technical service, and maintenance.